Gardiner D. Page Building, built in 1988
|This building, referred to
simply as the "Page" building by museum members was built in 1988,
primarily to house the bateau.
The bateau was used on Nicatous Lake around 1850-1900 at which time lumbering was booming in the area. It carried lumbermen and supplies across the lake to the lumbering operations, and was also used in log drives on Nicatous Lake. It was owned by Gardner B. Page and loaned to the museum by the Gardner D. Page family.
|Not quit visible in the photo is a small steam engine in
the aft-center of the bateau. This turns a shaft mounted
propeller which powered the boat across Nicatous Lake.
|The pung and surrey were owned by Gardner B. Page and
used in Burlington from 1850 to 1900. They are on loan to the
museum from the Gardner D. Page family.
Pung: (noun) a one-horse sleigh consisting of a box on runners.
Surrey: (noun) A four-wheeled pleasure carriage, (commonly two-seated) somewhat like a phaeton, but having a straight bottom.
|This hay press was donated
by the Kirk M. Fogg family of Burlington, Maine. It was used on
Henry & Kirk Fogg's farm over 100 years ago.
|This display is an old steam-powered water pump.
There are also are some photos of it connected up to plumbing and a
chimney in someone's cellar.
Return to the Stewart M. Lord Historical Society Home Page